Bed Bug Removal Need Increases Due to Holiday Travel
Airports are packed with travelers.
Train stations are busting at the rails with riders.
Traffic on the highways is bumper-to-bumper.
These travelers are bringing presents, luggage and…bedbugs.
Unfortunately, these nasty bugs jump inside our luggage, purses, coats, blankets, and pillows as we innocently head to our destination. Once they arrive, the bedbugs jump out of their little nest and infest the place where the traveler is staying.
You may not have seen a bedbug recently. So, let’s refresh your memory: According to WebMD***, bedbugs are:
…are small, oval insects that feed by sucking blood from humans or other warm-blooded animals. Bedbugs are pests that can live anywhere in the home. They can live in cracks in furniture or in any type of textile, including upholstered furniture. Bedbug infestations are most common in beds, including the mattress, box springs, and bed frames. Bedbugs are most active at night. These pests may bite any exposed areas of skin while an individual is sleeping. Common locations for bedbug bites are the face, neck, hands, and arms.
There are several steps travelers can take to rid themselves and their sleeping location of bedbugs:
- Examine your luggage when you are repacking it. Check pockets, corners, and shoe sleeves.
- Elevate your luggage on a chair or stand in your hotel room. Keep luggage away from the bed, pillows and bed linen.
- Put dryer-safe clothing in the dryer for fifteen minutes when you return home. The dryer should destroy any bedbugs in your clothing.
- Inspect your room by lifting the mattress, box springs, baseboards, pictures, desk, and other room furniture.
- Finally, check your sheets for red or brown spots.
Once you have found them, take the following steps:
- Strip your bed of all sheets and linen. Place them in a garbage bag and then straight to a washer and wash them in the hot setting.
- Vacuum the mattress, headboard, footboard and bedside tables.
- Spray the joint of the bed frame, headboard, and footboard with a contact spray and residual spray.
- Move the bed away from the wall, nightstands and other furniture that might be bedbug nesting places.
- Reduce any clutter in your room.
While bedbugs are harmless, they can damage and stain property and cause physical discomfort. They can also ruin what should be an enjoyable trip to visit family and friends. Bed bugs are not to be taken lightly.
Pest Shield Inc. has simplified the process of eliminating Bed Bugs from homes, apartments, hotel rooms, and other places. We believe there is no one treatment type that works in all situations. That’s why we use a combination of any of the three methods designed specifically for each active infestation as well as preventive situations. Call (301) 829-0600 or firstname.lastname@example.org for a consultation. We serve We serve Mt. Airy, MD, Central Maryland and the counties of Montgomery, Carroll, Frederick, and Howard.
***For more information on bedbugs at WebMD, click here.
Tags: bed bugs, bed bugs Montgomery County MD
Posted in bed bugs